Thursday, June 23, 2011

Home Grown Tomatoes!

Summer Project #2...grow the tomatoes for Summer Project #1...canning...salsa, marinara, etc.  It has been several years since I have had a garden - 14 to be exact.  There is nothing like the taste of a fresh, just picked tomato.  I used to love to help my Grandpa Schrock pick the "new fancy cherry" tomatoes in his garden. About 1 in every 10 went straight into my mouth.   (He was always trying new plants and seeds.  One year we had green and striped pumpkins - now you have to pay twice as much for one like that - Clifford was so ahead of his time.  He even tried to grow kiwi fruit once - he found out you need a male and a female plant to make that happen - ordering just one didn't work.) 

So this year I decided to try the container garden method, at least for tomatoes.  If it goes well then I will expand next year.  And you my faithful friends & family followers get to go along for the journey.  To the right is a pic of the little guy in his new home just starting out...I'll keep you posted on his progress.  :)

Brigette

No comments:

Post a Comment